Bits and pieces

First, I’m excited to report that I’m now official at Two Sisters Promotions. We’ve been working on this for several weeks now, and all the details are squared away. If you’re unclear on what this means, well, I have a publicist! As of yesterday, it’s a done deal.

Second, a new review came in for Boundless. Ordinarily, I don’t make a to-do about reviews, good or bad, but I really liked what Lindy said. Check this out:

“She takes a very dark character and makes him not just palatable but kind and even gentle. Once again I see why Annie Dean is one of my favorite authors. Her creative flair and likable characters take a dark and seemingly impossible scenario and turn it into a tender love story with a wonderful depth.”

You can read the entire review here.

I can’t accurately depict the awe and wonder that comes over me when I read these words: “…Annie Dean is one of my favorite authors.”

My first reaction is me? Really? ME?

See, I have favorite authors. People I think are insanely gifted and whose words make my breath catch in my throat, whose books captivate me and keep from getting other things done. So when someone comes along and tells me that, for them, I do the same thing, I don’t know what the hell to say. I want to gush like a fangirl yet I check myself so I don’t come off like a giant rubber bouncing goober. I say, “I appreciate hearing that” sedately and add, “I’m so happy you enjoyed the book” (warning, warning, Will Robinson, understatement meter overload!) and then, “thanks so much for taking the time to write me.”

Whilst inside me there’s “EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!” going on. This doesn’t change. No matter how often I hear it, I still have that reaction. There’s a five-year-old in my head, running circles with overexcited glee. You know how kids do that until they fall down? In my head, I so do that when someone tells me they enjoyed a book, a story, or that they like my writing. And when someone says I’m one of their favorite authors, OMG. Picture the five-year-old sucking down a Pixie Stick first. Then commence the running. I know, right?

I know this makes me an enormous geek. But I figure it’s better to own it. I am an enormous geek. And you readers thrill the pee out of me on a daily basis. Well, not literally. Y’know. Except at the usual times.

I love British humor, sci-fi flicks, superhero movies / TV shows, hot emo boys, alternative music, and all kinds of books. I’d rather buy books than anything except possibly purses (and yes, that includes shoes). I’d rather stay home with my husband than go to a club. I am what I am.

Thanks for liking me this way.

Posted in publicist, reviews, thank you

15 Responses to Bits and pieces

1. Gwyneth Bolton says:

Congrats on getting a publicist! That’s wonderful. And I have to say if your reaction to getting feedback from readers makes you a geek, then I must be a geek too. I don’t think I’ll ever get to a point where getting an “I loved your book… you’re now one of my favorite authors” e-mail becomes something I don’t inwardly–and sometimes outwardly–shout with glee about. Trust me, inside I’m screaming, “they like me, they really like me” and doing the Snoopy dance, even though I try to remain calm in my e-mail response. Maybe we should start a writer geek girl club.

Gwyneth

Sherry is great. She works with luminaries like Nalini Singh and P.C. Cast, so maybe she can work some mighty mojo on my ascending star as well.

I guess years in the business could make a body jaded, but I hope it never happens to me. I never want to read an email and be like, “Yeah, yeah, you love me, I get it.”

3. Anonymous says:

you’re one of my favorite authors.

(now I get to picture you squeeing, this is fun!)

-ec

4. julia says:

Getting excited about it is so much better than having the imposter syndrome and thinking, ‘She can’t be talking about me.’ Owning it is the only way to go. I love your image about the 5-year-old downing the pixie stix and going at the circles of glee! LOL!

Julia, that reminds me of a story. When Alek (my youngest) was little, I was very careful to keep him away from processed sugars. I had read if you do that, you reduce the child’s chances of developing childhood diabetes. I did it with my daughter as well.

Anyhow, Alek had never had candy, cookies, ice cream, or any kind of sweets really (except a little birthday cake on his birthday). And I made that with honey and fructose.

One day, his dad took him to Target; I guess the kid was about three. And he begged for a drink. So his dad let him pick it out. (oh no, right?)

So Alek picked a KoolAid pop, it’s premade KoolAid in a little plastic pop bottle. Andres didn’t read the ingredients, just bought it and gave it Alek to drink the car.

By the time he got in the front door, he was VIBRATING. I was like, “What did DO to him?”

That’s when I got a hold of the empty bottle and read there was like 48 grams of sugar in this tiny 8 oz bottle! WTH, right?

Alek literally ran sprints from the living room to the kitchen for like 20 minutes. And then he got this bizarre glazed look on his face and collapsed. Like, just lay on the living room floor, looking stoned.

Now I just crack up over it, but damn, I’d never seen a sugar high like that one before. (And that’s about what I do in my head over readers!)

6. aromagik says:

Yes, YOU, ya big goober! *lol*

You had me at ‘The Average Girl’s Guide To Getting Laid’, you know.

~Lindy, also a geek ;)

7. aromagik says:

Uh-oh… Looks like I made everything go quiet… (shhhhhh… crazy reviewer in the hiz-ouse… *lmao*)

~Lindy

Heh, no, Lindy. Thanks for stopping by!

I was answering some emails, actually. To be really specific, I was writing to my publicist (aforementioned in this post) to bring her up to date on what I’ve done on my own, so she knows where to build from.

In addition to attending three conferences / conventions next year, I may be doing signings:

In the South, Birmingham and surrounding areas, in March
    In Ft Wayne, Indiana in April
    In Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh and surrounding areas, in April
    In San Francisco (and surrounding areas) in August

If that’s of interest to anyone mark your calendars. I’ll sign Grimspace for you. And there will probably be free food too.

9. aromagik says:

Is the April gig the RT convention? I’m trying to figure out a way to go for more than just the Saturday book signing, but at least I plan to be there for that.

Yeah, you want to see a gushy fangirl? Just wait. *wink*

~Lindy

Yep. I’ll be in Pittsburgh for RT, but we’re going to see if we can schedule a few signings in PA afterward as well, to make the most of my traveling. I’m trying to do that because I can’t do the JA Konrath thing and just drive around on weekends.

When I’m in the States I need to make the most of it.

11. Ciar Cullen says:

Hey, you’re cookin with gas these days, baby. Many congrats!

12. Estella says:

I love your books!

13. QB says:

Ah, hell, I’ve already gushed about you MANY times, so I’m not going to take the time to do it now because I’m REALLY afraid I might have been one of the readers that thrilled the pee out of you.

I may never get that image out of my head.

Thanks a lot.

I said, not literally!

15. Susan says:

Congratulations on getting a publicist! I’m a late comer to your books (embarrassed) and am loving them!