From the mailbag

I thought I’d pull out a few questions I’ve received and answer them here. If they’re funny enough, I add questions to my FAQ permanently and send the person who asked a prize. These questions, however, are so awesome (or freaky) that I felt they deserved a blog post. They’re all Grimspace related, so maybe other readers were secretly wondering the same thing but didn’t have the chutzpah to inquire.

And now, onward!

Elise asks:

Can Vel have sex in human form? Has he ever? For that matter, what’s his stuff like in his natural form?

I cannot tell you how I laughed to receive these questions. I have been told by another reader that I managed to make Vel appealing, mysterious, and yes, even erotic, but this is the first time anyone has ever asked about his package. But here we go.

Yes, Vel can have sex in human form, but it’s more mimicry than anything pleasurable for him. I mean, he’s wearing a human suit, basically. Imagine having sex while wearing a condom all over your body that’s several inches thick. Just because it’s possible, that doesn’t mean he’ll enjoy it.

And yes, Vel has had sex in human form. I’ll say this much: you met one of Vel’s former lovers briefly in Grimspace. I will not tell you more, however, because it would spoil a free short story that will be forthcoming, probably in December.

Finally (and I can’t believe anyone wants to know this), I did research praying mantis sexual organs when I was writing this book. Vel has an adapted system, similar but not identical to the praying mantis. That is to say, he has a series of barbs and slits designed to interlock with a female of his species for the exchange of genetic material. It’s a more functional arrangement than humans have. The barbs offer no sensation whatsoever; they’re simply present to allow the Ithtorians to hook together long enough to do what’s needed. The slits, however, do offer some pleasurable sensations, which another species can act upon. Sex-for-pleasure is a foreign concept to his people, but he’s been in exile a long time.

Adam asks:

Do you think Jax will ever do it with Dina? If March were eaten by aliens, maybe. Because that would be hot.

No. Sorry. Even if March is eaten by aliens, it’s not going to happen. Dina isn’t attracted to Jax that way.

Melanie asks:

I liked the book, but I don’t understand how you can say they proved there’s no such thing as the soul, yet people still have religion, all that Mary worship stuff. How does that even make sense?

To my mind, the two are not mutually exclusive. Think of all the things science has “proven”, evolution, for instance. How many sects are there today that deny it because it goes against their theology? Science and religion have always been at odds in that way, a question of evidence versus faith. Why wouldn’t that continue to be so?

Well, that’s all for today! I hope y’all found this edifying. If you have a question, feel free to email it to me. If I pick yours for a blog post or the FAQ you’ll win a prize, just like Adam, Elise, and Melanie.

Posted in QnA

12 Responses to From the mailbag

Told you Vel is teh sex-ay!!!!

:grin:

I must admit, I never expected people would like him as much as they seem to. Heh. He’s a studly bug.

3. Pingback: I&A | Literary Escapism

4. Christine says:

LOL! I’m also on team-Vel! W0oT! Go, Vel! :eek:

Seriously, though, I truly enjoyed his presence at the end of the book. Who would have thought such an intriguing and endearing secondary character could be so successfully introduced so late in the game. It was a welcomed surprise for me. :grin:

Haha, team Vel. Too funny.

Guess who finished her March short story?

6. Lorelie says:

Dina isn’t attracted to Jax that way.

*snort*
    But Jax would be up for it, sans March?

:grin: That was exactly my question, Lorelie!

Dina could probably get just about any woman she wanted. When she turns on the charm, she’s a serious chick magnet.

9. Okay, I like Vel, but I can’t see him as sexy.

I keep thinking of MEN IN BLACK and the cockroach wearing a skin suit…. :neutral: even if he’s a nice bug wearing a skin suit, I can’t see him as sexy.

But I also don’t like bugs.

I do like Vel. Just not in that way. :cool:

Hey, I make no judgments. If readers want to think about Vel’s sex life, I’m fine with that. If they want to write Dina / Jax slash, that’s fine with me too. I just can’t read any of it!

I feel I should note that -for people who may not have read Grimspace- that Vel’s “human suit” isn’t made from actual humans. He excretes a substance that solidifies over his carapace to give him the semblance of a human being, and he can shape it according to images he’s seen previously.

11. Melissa Blue says:

Those questions did deserve a blog post.

I just want to point out, not that it means anything, or by saying this that I’m implying something but… a man ask the Dina/Jax question.

Secondly, loved the description of Vel having sex. A whole body condomn would not be pleasurable. Well, unless it’s the extra sensitive kind. :grin:

12. Pingback: Jumpdrives and Cantrips » Blog Archive » Odds & Ends