Faq update q: Do you ever sleep?

New FAQ: Do you ever sleep?

I actually get this one pretty often. The answer is yes. I sleep, generally from midnight to eight a.m., unless I’m up later, giggling maniacally with Moira Rogers (Bree & Donna) in IM. This happens about once a week. I compensate by sleeping later. But since I suspect this question has its roots in speculation regarding my productivity, I will elaborate.

Yes, I’m prolific. I work a lot, I’d say forty to fifty hours a week. Here’s what my schedule looks like:

If I’m drafting a book, I write for three hours in the morning. I don’t check email or mess around online. Generally, that’s 3K words. To keep the writing moving that fast, I block the scene the night before in bed as I’m waiting to fall asleep. I know what I’m writing in the morning, so there’s no blank staring time. When I’m writing, I write: typity typity type. Once I’ve finished my words, that’s not the end of my work day. I spend the other five hours working on edits, revisions, galleys, or whatever else has come across my desk. I also do promo and networking. At five, I knock off work. I make dinner for my family, and we hang out with the kids until 8:30. I spend 1.5 hours alone with my husband. At ten, we split up so he can have some quiet time (to play video games and watch bad Japanese horror movies.) From ten to midnight, I will do one of three things: (1) read a book, (2) chat on IM to one of my friends, (3) work more. It really depends on my mood as to which. Sometimes I combine options two and three. This is my life, five days a week, and it allows me to accomplish a lot.

I am never doing nothing. I always have something percolating, and I never take more than a week off between projects. Weekends off keep me charged up and ready to keep working.

Posted in about me, faq

13 Responses to Faq update q: Do you ever sleep?

1. Stacia Kane says:

What about me? We giggle. Or, okay, we mostly bitch. But there has been some giggling.

I don’t have your IM! Or you would totally be on my late-night giggle list.

3. Bree says:

This happens about once a week. I compensate by sleeping later.

Damn it, THAT’S the part I’m forgetting! The compensating-by-sleeping-later part! Obviously I don’t sleep. :D

4. C.D. Reimer says:

I can’t sleep if the poetry muse gets into bed with me. I have to go through at least three drafts to finalized the poem content and structure. Then I’m getting up every hour to tweak the words here and there that I mumble in my sleep. The poem doesn’t go away I submit it to the poetry gods for approval.

Swine flu is easier than this! :smile:

5. DeAnn says:

:smile:
    Hey Ann, I noticed that you said you watch Old Japanese horror movies, and I wanted to tell you that my husband is a huge old Japanese SF/Monster/Horror movie fan, and he’s got tons of Japanese movies on DVD or videotape. He’s got Giant Mahjin, Ultraman, Godzilla, Mothra and a bunch of other Japanese flicks. He listens to all the commentary and has been known to buy copies of Japanese film magazines, so if you ever have a question about the movies, he’s your guy.
    Of course, he also loves old 50s and 60s American horror movies, but that’s another story.

6. This is very similar to how I work, but more intense. I’m sure my intensity will amp up as I get more balls in the air.

Good to know it’s possible, tho!

I can attest to the work work work thing…

(and I’ve often wondered myself whether Ann really sleeps at all :wink: )

8. You are amazing. I also work for three hours in the morning, and often use longhand notes. I don’t think I’ve ever hit 3k. After 2k (rare, and takes all day) my brain is mush.

/jealous :grin:

9. Vickie B says:

:cool:
    I wonder how many people out there think that writers loll around and write when they feel like it and live lives of luxury……yours is a very nicely structured. I admire your work ethic.

10. Fedora says:

Wow, you go, Ann! As a reader, I also admire your work ethic, and am thankful you’re cranking away! Just finished Skin Game and cannot wait for more!! So, yay, go you! ;)

11. Hey!!! Congrats on selling Aftermath and Endgame!! I just heard. So exciting!

12. Cass says:

Hi Ann,

Thanks for sharing your schedule/how you organize work with us. It’s always great to hear how other writers do their thing.

***Spoiler below for those who have not read the latest Jax book***

I also wanted to thank you for writing Jax and March as realistically as you do, with his recovery not being instantaneous. Their relationship is quite remarkable.

Cass
    Chandler, Arizona

13. Pingback: Fanatical Pupil » Blog Archive » Sounds Like The Good Life [Writing]