Enclave

enclave
First, I thank everyone who has written about the book. I try to keep up with all fanmail, but it’s getting more challenging, so if I miss you, don’t take it personally. I did read it, I promise. And if you really need a reply, just nudge me, and I’ll get on it.

Next, I have a few comments about the book, responding to the three biggest questions I get.

Why did you make it a stupid love triangle? I hate triangles!

The romance is not a triangle. Deuce doesn’t understand relationships the way a normal girl does; she doesn’t realize what’s causing Fade to pull away or that Stalker is pursuing her. Her emotional intuition is pretty close to nonexistent, and she misses cues that seem obvious to us because she’s very underdeveloped in that regard. Yes, it’s obvious to us that Fade digs her and that Stalker does too, and that by training with him, she’s making Fade think she doesn’t like him. But Deuce doesn’t think in those terms. Stone and Thimble were her closest friends in brat-hood, and she never encountered an either/or situation with them. And that’s really her primary source of social experience. She has no romantic history whatsoever.

How can you care so little about abuse victims? What Deuce says to Tegan is unconscionable!

First, this question assumes that I, personally, have made some statement–that I think victims should “get over it”. This is not the case. However, my modern sensibilities have no place in a dystopian novel, where the continuation of the human race is threatened. That’s part of the conflict, in fact, between kindness and survival, compassion and callous strength. It is impossible for Deuce to have the kind of understanding that I do in regard to Tegan’s situation. I wrote the character as true to her world and her upbringing.

How can Deuce like an evil monster like Stalker?

He’s an amoral survivor who lives in a dystopian society where horrible things happen every day. You’ll find out more about his past in book two and what Tegan suffered… and why. (Oddly nobody has asked why she was beaten. As a breeding female it makes no sense that she would be as the Wolves needed her to keep the population up.)

Stalker cannot be judged by our yardstick of what’s acceptable; he is a product of the society in which he was raised. How can he possess our sense of right and wrong until he’s exposed to different ways of thinking?

By that same token, Deuce and Fade are not nice people, either. They left an innocent child to die. In the Razorland world, certain mores fall away. And that provides the fulcrum for the question that I’ll try to answer before the end of the series. How far is too far? How much of our humanity can we yield in the name of survival before we become the monsters?

The whole trilogy is dark, though it ends on a hopeful note. Some people can’t roll with my story choices, and that’s all right. No book is for everyone. That said, I promise plenty of ass-kicking, more world-building goodness (you find out about the Freaks’ origin), more romance, and more heartbreak in Outpost. My beta reader said it was ten times as intense as Enclave.

Posted in books, Enclave, faq, writing

15 Responses to Enclave

1. Perla says:

Personally, I LOVED every inch of Enclave. The harsher the more real that post-apocalyptic dystopia seemed to me. I had intense reactions to the addition of Stalker, but without him I don’t know authentic a fairly bump-less road to love Deuce and Fade would have. I feel that he has a specific role to play that as a reader I don’t see yet. That by adding him into their group he had to be more than just a black hat. I understood that Deuce had no point of reference for relationships- it’s all there in the book. And I understood how Fade would have a different perspective of her behavior because he has had a different life experience. She never understood what Fade meant when he talked about Partners, I saw the rocks ahead right then and there. It did kill me to see them grow apart, but I am grateful for every emotion and reaction I get from reading Enclave. To me it means that I’m emotionally invested and that I’m reading a damn good book. Can’t wait to read Outpost and see what ten times as intense means- that sounds crazy awesome!

2. MaryK says:

Oh man, you’re killin’ me. I’m not normally a dystopian reader so I’m approaching these gingerly. In fact, I’m stashing the first two away until the third is out so I can at least avoid the tension of waiting. :)

Heh, I don’t expect everyone to love everything I create. I just write what feels true to the characters and the world.

4. Kerrie says:

I loved Enclave. It was actually the first book of yours that I had ever read. So then I moved on to the Jax books and then the Corinne books. I definitely got that Deuce has limited emotional experiences to draw from, and my frustration was more with Fade for not clarifying. I understand that he had different life experiences, but he SAW how she was raised and how all she knew was very limited. But everything in the book felt very real. Everyones responses were very genuine. Hard choices were made, but without them growth could not have occurred. I cannot wait for the other books in this series and all your others! And I love dystopian novels but this one is by far my favorite, although a close second is Feed by Mira Grant.

Fade has lost so much in his life that he’s not emotionally brave. For him to explain things to Deuce, he would have to tell her exactly how he feels. And he thinks it will hurt less if he’s never outright rejected. If you don’t put yourself out there, you can’t be hurt. Which is wrong, of course, but he’s not perfectly well-adjusted. Fade has… issues. Heh.

So glad you liked the book!

6. Emma says:

Wow, the book was amazing! I think it has to take its place as one of my favorite books.
    I loved all the characters, especially Fade ;-)
    My one question is about when Fade “spoke” to Deuce through her dreams. I found that out of place because the rest of the book seemed very realistic. Was she just making this up in her head, wishing that Fade would say that in person?

7. Kelly Dawn says:

Outpost is ten times as intense??? I lost sleep the last two nights from Enclave, and when you have to be at work at 6 AM that’s not fun. Well, it was fun while reading, but my heart raced so much I couldn’t sleep after. So much for “relaxing” before bed. Ha. Looking forward to the 2nd book…bring it.

8. Cassandra says:

Okay to start of, I just wanted to say the book was AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING A-FrEAKING-MAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! !
    Okay now that I have gotten that out I can talk rationally. I have read soooooo many dystopian novels including, but not limited to ( haha ;) ) hunger games ,divergent, eve, forest of hands and teeth, ect and out of all of them THIS was my absollute favorite!!!! I read it in 8 hours , which okay isnt that fast for me, bu still amaaazing I loved the CHARACHTERS and the harshness but most importantly I really loved the real-ness ( word?) the fact that everything is written exactly as things probably would happened in situation, expect for maybe the ending with the whole Deus ex Machina (suddenly savior ending) most lickly they would have died , but hey that’s NOT how it should end so thank GOD everything worked out the way it did!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think that just the right amount of people died haha sometimes ur hours over do it and kill everyone and I am just like It’s NOT nessecary to make the book good!!! I loved who you made duece end up being she’s perfect for her role as well as fade, and even though I had a lot of doubts and still do about stalker ( not sure if he will suddenly leave or kill them, I mean it’s how he was raised right? ) I really loved how believable the xharachters are! And I love Tagen she’s so cute and tough she’s a fighter even if she wasn’t raised for it or if she’s not naturally a killer she’s a fighter ! Though, one thing about Tagen is I would love to know more about her lost cubs and how she feels about the sex and men thing now, especially since ( hopefully ) that might be a issuer duece a d fade have to deal with soon( yes, I have a sorry dirty romantic mind) anyway I just have one last couple of things, one; a question – an we expect for romance in th second book, when does the second book come out, what should we expecti in it?! And where can I get youto sign a copy of my book ( I live in California, orange county )!!!!!!!! And lastly I was talking to my mom this morning and she was asking me to describe the book and why I liked it so much when I was having such a hard time trying to put words into how and why I loved it so much and I responded : it was everything I was looking for in a dystopian book, I have read so many of them and there all good , but this one it was perfect , it could be me, I could be duece trying to survive, there was nothing truly special about her besides the fact that’s she’s strong willed and wanting to live with. Love as well and will do anything to keep the ones she loves but also will push to make them survive, when I imagine myself in a destopian world ( besides maybe the freaks) the whole waking and learning to fight that’s all how I imagined myself

So I just wanted to say thank you! ThNk you soooo much I really looooved this book and I can NOT WAIT for the second one!!!!

• Cassandra says:

Okay now that I have gotten that out I can talk rationally. I have read soooooo many dystopian novels including, but not limited to ( haha ;) ) hunger games ,divergent, eve, forest of hands and teeth, ect and out of all of them THIS was my absollute favorite!!!! I read it in 8 hours , which okay isnt that fast for me, bu still amaaazing I loved the CHARACHTERS and the harshness but most importantly I really loved the real-ness ( word?) the fact that everything is written exactly as things probably would happened in situation, expect for maybe the ending with the whole Deus ex Machina (sudden savior ending) most likely they would have died , but hey that’s NOT how it should end so thank GOD everything worked out the way it did!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think that just the right amount of people died! haha sometimes authors over do it and kill everyone and I am just like It’s NOT nessecary to make the book good!!! I loved who you made duece end up being she’s perfect for her role as well as fade, and even though I had a lot of doubts and still do about stalker ( not sure if he will suddenly leave or kill them, I mean it’s how he was raised right? ) I really loved how believable the CHARACHTERS are! And I love Tagen she’s so cute and tough, she’s a fighter even if she wasn’t raised for it or if she’s not naturally a killer, she’s a fighter ! Though, one thing about Tagen is I would love to know more about her lost cubs and how she feels about the sex and men now, especially since ( hopefully ) that might be a issuer duece and fade have to deal with soon( yes, I have a sorry ,dirty, romantic mind) anyway I just have one last couple of things, one; a question – an we expect for romance in th second book, when does the second book come out, what should we expecti in it?! And where can I get youto sign a copy of my book ( I live in California, orange county )!!!!!!!! And lastly I was talking to my mom this morning and she was asking me to describe the book and why I liked it so much when I was having such a hard time trying to put words into how and why I loved it so much and I responded : it was everything I was looking for in a dystopian book, I have read so many of them and there all good , but this one it was perfect , it could be me, I could be duece trying to survive, there was nothing truly special about her besides the fact that’s she’s strong willed and wanting to live and Love (even if she’s not sure what that is) and will do anything to keep the ones she loves safe, but also will push to make them survive, when I imagine myself in a destopian world ( besides maybe the freaks) the whole learning to fight and survive that’s all how I imagined myself

So I just wanted to say thank you! Thank you soooo much I really looooved this book and I can NOT WAIT for the second one!!!!

Sorry I wrote this one my phone thats why there are so many grammar and spelling errors

9. nicole says:

OK i loved this book!! when and where can i get the second!!!!???!?!?!?!!?

10. Elisa says:

Your book was great! I can’t wait to get started on the next one. But I really want to ask a question, and I’m not sure if you’ll get to it anytime soon but heres me hoping. Can you give me a detailed as possible description+ possible age(s) on the main characters? (And if time allows, any other characters that you have a longer description for than the book)I was hoping you might have a better description here but couldn’t find it. I would love to have these descriptions because I would like to draw out the characters. If I draw them out ill send them to you too. Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to read this :)

In all honesty, I would rather see your version of the characters. So I’ll list basic eye / hair colors for you.

Deuce: light brown hair / gray eyes / more graceful & fit than pretty

Fade: black hair / eyes. Olive skin. Tall & fit.

Stalker: blond hair / blue eyes. scars on cheeks, stained red.

Tegan: dark hair / brown eyes/ coppery skin. Slim.

Longshot: Silver threaded hair & beard. Sun-browned skin.

12. Lauren says:

I want to know if Thimble and Stone survived. I loved every single part of Enclave, Outpost, and Horde. I am not done with Horde yet but it is still fantastic. :)

13. malena C says:

Ms. Aguirre I’m wondering about who would win if there would ever be a fight between Fade and Stalker? And why. Thanks.