Edited: This hunt has ended! Thank you for playing.
Today kicks off the Fall 2018 YA Scavenger Hunt, and there are tons of great prizes to be won. You decide how much effort to put into it, but the rewards will definitely be commensurate with the time you spend visiting various sites and gathering clues.
BONUS! I’ve got an extra giveaway you can enter to win a copy of Like Never and Always! Use the rafflecopter at the bottom of this post to enter.
There are seven teams: RED, BLUE, ORANGE, GREEN, GOLD, PINK, & PURPLE.
I’m on the PINK team this time around.
If at any point, you get stuck, check out the How to Hunt page for help.
At this hunt, you not only get access to exclusive content from each author, you also get a clue for the hunt. Add up the clues, and you can enter for our prize–one lucky winner will receive one signed book from each author on the hunt in my team!
But play fast: this contest will only be online for 5 days!
There are seven contests going on simultaneously, and you can enter one or all! Either way, it’s up to you. Pretty exciting stuff, right?
If you’d like to find out more about the hunt, see links to all the authors participating, and see the full list of prizes up for grabs, go to the YA Scavenger Hunt page.
SCAVENGER HUNT PUZZLE
Directions: Below, you’ll notice that I’ve listed my favorite number. Collect the favorite numbers of all the authors on the PINK TEAM and then add them up (don’t worry, you can use a calculator!).
Entry Form: Once you’ve added up all the numbers, make sure you fill out the form here to officially qualify for the grand prize. Only entries that have the correct number will qualify.
Rules: Open internationally, anyone below the age of 18 should have a parent or guardian’s permission to enter. To be eligible for the grand prize, you must submit the completed entry form by Sunday October 7th, at noon Pacific Time. Entries sent without the correct number or without contact information will not be considered.
I have the pleasure of hosting the talented Pintip Dunn. Let’s get to know her better before I show you the good stuff, okay?
About Pintip, in her own words:
Pintip Dunn is a New York Times bestselling author of young adult fiction. She graduated from Harvard University, magna cum laude, with an A.B., and received her J.D. at Yale Law School.
Pintip’s novel FORGET TOMORROW won the 2016 RWA RITA® for Best First Book, and SEIZE TODAY won the 2018 RITA for Best Young Adult Romance. Her books have been translated into four languages, and they have been nominated for the following awards: the Grand Prix de l’Imaginaire; the Japanese Sakura Medal; the MASL Truman Award; the Tome Society It list; and the Romantic Times Reviewers’ Choice Award. Her other titles include REMEMBER YESTERDAY, THE DARKEST LIE, GIRL ON THE VERGE, STAR-CROSSED, and the upcoming MALICE.
Princess Vela’s people are starving.
Stranded on a planet that lacks food, Vela makes the ultimate sacrifice and becomes an Aegis for her people. Accepting a genetic modification that takes sixty years off her life, she can feed her colony via nutrition pills. But her best friend is still getting worse. And she’s not the only one.
Now the king is dying, too.
When the boy she’s had a crush on since childhood volunteers to give his life for her father’s, Vela realizes her people need more than pills to survive. As tensions rise between Aegis and colonists, secrets and sabotage begin to threaten the future of the colony itself.
Unless Vela is brave enough to save them all…
Now, here’s Pintip:
I’d like to share with you my inspiration board for my newest novel, STAR-CROSSED, which released on October 2! I’ve also included quotes from my book that correspond with each image. I hope you enjoy this visual representation of Vela and Carr’s story!
From left to right, top to bottom
1. Honey Toast: The scent of fried dough and powdered sugar tickles my nose. The Kong’s favorite snack — thickly sliced honey toast topped with whipped cream. I pick up a fork and begin to eat. Normally, the cubes of bread, at once chewy and crisp, combined with the sweet taste of honey, set off an explosion in my mouth. Today, I barely taste the flavor.
2. Raindrop: It’s raining outside, in the real planet, and colored ribbons of water sluice down the side of the energy shields. I watch the red rain fall from the sky. When the drops hit the bubble, they burst into other colors — the smaller, lighter dribbles into blues and greens, and the larger, heavier plops into yellows and oranges.
3. Caviar: Astana’s brother leans against the entry to the living unit, his head a few inches from the doorjamb. Straight hair falls over his forehead, and his caviar-black eyes sink into me.
My cheeks warm. How long has he been standing there?
4. Colored streams: I tap the black cube embedded in the wall, and immediately we’re surrounded by holographic water. Not the plain, clear water you find inside the bubble, but rings of iridescent color as brilliant as jewels — sapphire, emerald, topaz, garnet. The kind of water you only find in the real planet.
5. C-trunk: The trunks of these genetically engineered trees curve in a C-shape, perfect for the human body to sit. We plant them all over the colony in lieu of actual chairs, to maximize oxygen.
6. Serpent: The serpent scares me. It always has. When I was a kid, I used to have recurring dreams about its coiling, twisting body. About a shiny red apple on the ground, with a bite taken out of it.
7. Bee: I round a path and come face-to-face with a bee. Sweat breaks out all over my body. My throat feels sticky, like it might be gummed up with honey from the combs. After trying to save everyone else, my life is going to end like my mother’s — by the sting of a bee.
8. Apple: Piles of apples line four sides of the room, stacked floor to ceiling, stretching wall to wall. The sheer amount of fruit is deceiving. It tricks my mind into believing all I see is apple. Red, shiny apple. Crunch-in-your mouth sweet. Exploding-on-your-tongue tart.
9. Waterfall: “We’re going to swim straight through the waterfall, okay?”
Not okay. The way the falls sputter and spew, I’m not sure I’ll make it to the other side. But with Carr holding my hand, I feel like I can do anything.
Don’t stop playing! To continue hunting for clues and reading more exciting, exclusive content, click over to Taylor Fenner’s site. I know she has some delicious goodies waiting. Somewhere on the hunt, you can find *my* exclusive content.
Finally, this post has been sponsored by the number 88. (Psst. This is an important clue. Remember it!)